Saturday 28 March 2009

Other Covers and Rob Ryan


Here's another Illustrator I found on my illustrated book jacket hunt, I think Rob Ryan is amazing!! he is also on blogger see his blog at http://rob-ryan.blogspot.com/ and visit his website at http://www.misterrob.co.uk/ A lot of his book jacket designs are in shops now, i went to Waterstones to look....


Rob Ryan

Here are a few of his book jacket designs, he has w
orked with many clients and if you do visit his blog you can see just how prolific he is.



I looked at this one because it is female orientated and I felt tied in with my brief because women would be more likely to buy this book. A necklace is a strong feminine symbol, but i also put it on because I think its pretty .....

Book Jacket design, just amazing, I find he has a distinctive style that I feel is instantly recognisable. Click on all the books to take you to the image, to visit his blog see the link above!

Please click on the book jacket to take you to the image; this design is one of my favourites, For this design he worked with Random House, another publisher, for some Louis de Bernieres books. This is posted in his blog in 2008









Here showing Rob Ryan working with Pufffin I really love how he uses silhouettes and positive and negative space in his work. This is for a story the Illustrator believes is set in the dark ages. I loved his use of colour and the focal point of the moon ...

This takes you directly to the image http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Jz-IqtMfia8/SXcSnpRuKMI/AAAAAAAAAng/5yncQn1Mo7Q/s1600-h/faerieheart.jpg

This is a proof he has got back from puffin, I think this is a fairly recent design posted on his blog this year.



I looked at him because his final designs always looked really strong and eye-catching! they would definitely sell the book to me! This is something I aspire to, I really admire Rob Ryan's work. I wondered how long it would take it looks so intricate and delicate!


Here are a few from his website http://www.misterrob.co.uk/

Used for the publishers Bloomsbury. I love the colours in this!


published by penguin, major publisher! This is a cover I have seen on my travels. I really like the use of shape and the silhouetted city ...

Lastly I looked at this one because it is created in black and white, I think this composition looks really clever! and to me appears decorative. It really helped me to look at black and white Illustration for the internal spot.



Click below to visit his shop!!

Interesting Illustration book

You can also buy this book please click on it to take you to Amazon where you can buy it.






This features more of his work and to get a sneak glimpse into some of his processes. He uses paper cut outs but also produces screen prints and so much more!! includes many more Illustrators; especially looking at the new wave of Illustrators....






3 comments:

  1. helena have a great blog. you´re a great illustrator kisses charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous style! I can't get enough of silhouette artwork.

    P.S. I actually own The Book of Lost Things (only my copy is blue, not black)! I bought it because the cover was so awesome, but it was a wonderful read as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Rob Ryan is brilliant! I saw his work in New York and The Yorkshire sculpture park. His work has that special something (I think)

    very admiring of his style.

    is the book a good read?

    ReplyDelete